Monday, January 25, 2010

Oil in your lamp

And at that day, when I come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins. For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived--verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.
Doctrine and Covenants 45:56-57

About five years ago this scripture made an impression on me as I read, and I felt that I had found a true treasure. Here was an explanation of the parable of the ten virgins that was clear and simple. Instead of the endless to-do lists generated in Sunday School class throughout my life, here was one thing I needed to do to have oil in my lamp--take the Holy Spirit for my guide. I shared this message a few times in classes and with family, but no one else seemed to have the aha moment that I had enjoyed. Now, five years later, I still love this scripture, and I'm working to let the spirit guide me more and more surely. But I realize, too, that the to-do lists aren't incongruous with the spirit of the scripture. All those good things people wanted me to do--pray, read the scriptures, keep the commandments, give service--are things that bring me closer to the spirit and help me follow the promptings that I receive.

No comments: