Friday, May 2, 2008

Iron rod or liahona

In the Book of Mormon, the iron rod represents the word of God. The liahona is a tool that the Book of Mormon people used to direct their travels in the wilderness. Through the liahona, God gave them instructions to help them along their way. Sometimes people compare and contrast these two images and use them as metaphors for the way that people interact with God today. Iron rods are people who like to go by the book, and liahonas are people who work by inspiration. But I see both of these methods as necessary in our effort to stay on the path in life that will lead us home to our Heavenly Father. The word of God as contained in the scriptures and as taught to us by our living prophet shows us the way and gives us a true direction. Inspiration that comes to us personally through the whisperings of the Holy Ghost nudges us back onto that true path when we start to go astray. I've created this blog to record some of my experiences and reflections about the power of both the word and the spirit in my life.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Well this is just great! I am excited to read your thoughts and feelings on here.

modestmuse said...

I have actually never heard those comparisons/metaphors or thought about that. Very profound. You have such a powerful testimony; I'm looking forward to reading more of your experiences and thoughts.