Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Gifts

A few weeks ago, a very talented musician in our ward asked me to turn pages for her while she accompanied a song we were practicing in Relief Society. I felt a little nervous about doing it because I didn't want to turn the page too soon or too late and cause her a problem, but it turned out to be a wonderful experience for me. I had been practicing the piece because I was supposed to accompany it, but then found out that I was going to be gone on the week that the sisters were singing in Sacrament meeting. So I was aware of how much she was making things up as she went along. Everything sounded good, and most people wouldn't have realized that she wasn't playing the music exactly as written. I felt my esteem for this woman deepen as we sat on that piano bench together. But what was even more important was that I realized that although I don't have the gift that she has of being able to improvise at the keyboard, I do have gifts. My task is to learn to share them with as much confidence and generosity as she shares hers.

And all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will. Moroni 10:17

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I have often thought about the responsibility we have to use or share our gifts, but never thought about the happiness Heavenly Father must feel when we share them with confidence and generosity. I like that.