Sunday, July 10, 2011

We do not doubt our mothers knew it.

A familiar story in the Book of Mormon tells of 2000 young men who were willing to go to war to protect the freedom of their families.

Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers saying, We do not doubt our mothers knew it. Alma 56:47-48

Today on ABC's This Week, Christine Lagarde, the new head of the IMF, said an interesting thing about her personal code of ethics. "You know, in the back of my mind, when it comes to ethics and whatever I do, I always think to myself, would my mother approve of that. And if she did not, then there's something wrong. I think it's a very -- it's a basic, stupid principle, maybe, to have. But it's something quite handy and quite efficient, if you think of it."

Hooray for mothers who set a worthy course, and hooray for children who will follow it!

No comments: